Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkish Dolma ( stuffed grape leaves )






1- Take the grape leaves out of their jar and gently pull them apart. They are very thin and break easily, so be careful.
2- Remove the stems of the leaves with a sharp knife.
3-Place the leaves in a pot of boiling water. Let them boil for approximately 15 minutes. This both removes the salty brine from the leaves and makes them more durable.
4 -Cut the lemons into thin, circular slices.


Making the Filling:

1-Soak the rice in hot water with a pinch of salt for 20 to 25 minutes. It should be softer, but not soft enough to eat.
2-Use the oil to sauté the garlic, onion and parsley. 
3-Add the drained rice, allspice, red pepper and black pepper to the sauté pan. Mix the ingredients thoroughly for about 10 minutes.Remove from heat.


Stuffing the Leaves:

1-Place a grape leaf on a cutting board or clean countertop, with the cut-off stem end facing you. Add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the leaf near where the stem used to be. Fold in the left and right sides of the leaf and then roll it up. Repeat until all but 20 leaves are stuffed.

2-Use the remaining leaves to line the bottom of a large pot.

3-Arrange the stuffed leaves in the pot as tightly as possible, placing slices of lemon between each layer of leaves.

4-Pour in the water.

5-Place a heat-proof dish on the leaves to keep them from coming loose.

6-Simmer until the leaves are soft and the rice mixture is tender--usually about 1/2 hour.

Ingredients:
  • 1 (32 oz.) jar of grape leaves
  • 1 quart boiling water
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 cup white, long grain rice
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 1/2 large, finely chopped onions
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4-1/8 tsp. finely ground red pepper
  • 2 cups of water 
  • 2 lemons
  • Cutting board or flat work surface
  • Large saute pan
  • Large cooking pot
Serve cold with a little bit lemon juice. Bon appetite !

12 comments:

  1. I have never tried that before. Looks like it would be good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank for your friend request!
    I really like Turkish cuisine,I think it's very similar to the Bulgarian cuisine, but still different.
    Dolma in all of its forms is one of my favourite foods and I would definitely try this recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! Love the recipe, and photo of it as well. I make Israeli style stuffed grape leaves, which is very similar to the Turkish one. Did not make it for a long time, and now I would like to try your recipe.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stuffed vine leaves, but have never contemplated making my own as it seemed so complicated. You have made me reconsider, however, as you've made it seem quite manageable (not to mention delicious!). Thank you.

    x Amy

    http://www.whiskandwhimsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the friends request on foodbuzz. My mum used to make stuffed vine leaves, they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for adding me, really looking forward to trying your Turkish recipes, it looks like my kind of food!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look wonderful! We sell grape leaves at the deli I work in but yours look way better! Thanks for sharing :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been craving this dish for a month now but can not bring myself wrap all those leaves! It takes a while to make and I can finish eating in five minutes though. But worth it! Seeing the picture encourages me to make it! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been looking for a recipe for dolmas, as the canned varieties at the grocery store and served at many restaurants around here simply don't cut it. I will try these soon!

    ReplyDelete